A Visit to Wrigley Field & Dinner with Friends

Tuesday, 5 May 2009. The day dawned partly sunny.  It was cool and going to be a great day.  It felt good to put on the top part of my Cubs uniform.  The Cubs camp was one heck of a week.

I may use of the 24 hours I had to use the computer online and cleared up my e-mail and caught up little bit on the diary.

Oh yes, my diary entries may sound a little funny as I am dictating them using Dragon NaturallySpeaking.  If I really used it a lot, would probably work even better.  I tend to use it only on trips.  However it is a neat gadget.

I got underway under partly sunny skies and got over to Bev Friend’s place a little after 10.  The drive is slowing there is a slight detour because a train was blocking the road.  We gathered up our stuff and headed out.

The drive down was easy enough and when we got to the ballpark there were people already lining up and we found a parking lot adjacent to Wrigley Field.  Of course, this cost a small fortune.  Bev had suggested that she drive and would pay for parking.  I don’t think either she nor I expected the costs be quite the size was, $50.  I did chip in, of course.

We took some photos while waiting outside as the gates open at 11 o’clock.  There was quite a large number of fans we begin in when the gates opened.  We found our seats with no problem and they were quite good.  They were in the fifth row just to the outfield side of the Cubs dugout.  I try to get an autograph or two but they weren’t signing when they went out to practice.  By the time they got back and were signing autographs the mob scene was little bit too much to fight.  One of the Andy Frain[sic] ushers had also been at the 45 World Series.  His dad took him when he was eight.  I guess there are at least two of us alive who were there.

The weather was quite nice it was overcast and there is a light wind blowing in from the lake but it was not chilly.  Unfortunately, the Cubs lost 6 to 2.  The game was well played but disappointing.  One factor that may have been involved was the fact that a number of the starters had been benched and many of the players were the backups.

Disappointed we headed back to the car and drove back to Beverly’s place for a snack though we did stop for tea along the way.  While at Bev’s she was kind enough to write a check for me so I could pay for my tiny share of the two racehorses.  The check went out in the mail as we left.

We headed over to a nearby Chinese restaurant for an absolutely smashing dinner.  Joining us for dinner were Bev’s friend Irv, Nancy Goodman, Phyllis and Alex Eisenstein, Diane and Bob Blackwood, and Neil Rest.  Needless to say we had a rather excellent conversation ranging over a wide variety of topics.

I stopped for some very needed gas on the way back to the motel, showered, read and tried to get a good night’s sleep.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: